Spelling Bee Contest
Spelling Bee Competition Rules & Regulations
- It is organized annually by BFI Education Service for primary and secondary students.
- Only students recommended by the participating schools can take part in the competition.
- Totally up to 24 students are allowed to participate from each school:
- Junior Category (Year 4-6/Grade 3-5)- 12 students
- Senior Category (Year 7-9/Grade 6-8)- 12 students
- The competition will be held on Saturday, November 25, 2023 at SKT International College Campus starting at:
- Junior Category – 9:00 am
- Senior Category -12:30 pm
- The spelling list for both junior and senior categories will be available on our website from October 20 at www.bfi-edu.com. Words to spell for the written round are chosen from that list.
- The English language department of participating schools should submit the names of participants to Bahan International Science Academy (BISA), Po Sein or SKT International College offices before November 18, 2023.
- The registration fee is 15.000 Kyats per participant and should be submitted during the registration before the deadline. Participants will not be admitted to the competition without (picture) ID.
- Participants should arrive at least 45 minutes before the start of their part of the competition.
- The competition has two rounds:
- First/qualification round – The written format of competition with a random list of thirty (30) words to be read by announcer and written down by spellers. At the speller’s request, the announcer will pronounce the word, define the word, and use the word in a sentence again. Twenty students per session with the highest results will be shortlisted for the next round.
- Final round – It is conducted orally in two sessions. Students take rounds to spell words.
3 (three) words are asked at the beginning of the oral round. Those who spell at least two of the announced words correctly will move on to the second. round.
In the second and all subsequent rounds, students will be given a single unseen word. Student who spells the word correctly, will move on to the next round, and the rest will be eliminated. Rounds will continue until there is a single participant remaining.
- Participants will be given 30 seconds to spell each word both in written and the oral rounds.
- In the oral stage, the announcer will pronounce the word. The speller may ask the announcer to pronounce the word, define and to use the word in a sentence again. The announcer will grant all such requests until the judges agree the word has been pronounced reasonably clearly to the speller.
- In the oral round judges will disqualify any speller who fails to begin spelling a word within 15 seconds after being given the word or its definition. The timekeeper will announce that time has expired by saying ‘Time!’. If the timekeeper says ‘Time’ before the speller has started spelling a word, the speller will be disqualified.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- The top 20 contestants from each category will receive certificates of participation.
Note: Since we have limited seats, we may not accept the applications once we reach the maximum capacity, even though the deadline is November 18.
This year we will be organizing the Spelling Bee Contest in cooperation with Dr. Nay Oak Foundation. Another extra feature of this year’s Spelling Bee Contest is there will be two round of contest. First round (Regional Round) will be held in Yangon, Mandalay and Nay Pyi Taw on 2nd November 2019. Second Round (Grand Finale) will be held in Nay Pyi Taw on 14th December, 2019. All 20 finalists from these regional rounds from each level (Junior and Senior) will be contesting to win the title of the Best Speller of 2019.
We are excited to host the first round of Spelling Bee contest at SKT International College in Yangon. There will be two levels: Junior and Senior. The grades for each level and contest dates are as follows:
|Junior||Year 5-7/Grade 5-7||November 2, Sat 09:00 – 12:00|
|Senior||Year 8-10/Grade 8-10||November 2, Sat 12:30 – 15:30|
We will offer three prizes for each level. They are as follows:
|1st Place||300,000 Kyats||300,000 Kyats|
|2nd Place||200,000 Kyats||200,000 Kyats|
|3rd Place||100,000 Kyats||100,000 Kyats|
All 20 finalists from each level will also receive prizes.
We would like to invite 10 Best Spellers from Year 5-7/Grade 5-7 and 10 Best Spellers from Year 8-10/Grade 8-10 to participate in this year’s Spelling Bee Contest. Registrations can be completed at either Bahan International Science Academy, Po Sein or SKT International College, Shu Khinn Thar Myo Pat Road before October 30, 2019. Registration fee for each contestant is 2000 Kyats only. Participants are requested to submit one passport-size photo at the time of registration.
The word list, registration form, poster and the rules governing this contest are enclosed. If you have any questions concerning the contest, please contact Ms.Tin Moe Lwin (SKT International College) at (01) 450396, 450397 or Ms. Phyo Sandar (BISA) at (01) 551795, 551796, 543926.